Yoggi yalla! plants trees for the climate
- 13 May 2009
- Press contact
"A small action for a greener planet" is the message on the Yoggi Yalla!® bottle.
Last week, Arla launched its first climate neutral product - the drinking yoghurt Yoggi yalla!® During the development of this exciting project, the greenhouse gas emissions during the entire production chain were analysed in the minutest detail with the result that the emissions are compensated for by tree planting in Mozambique.
The idea of making Yoggi yalla!® climate neutral emerged a few years ago when the product needed an update. Project leader Stefan Albertson and Eva Tingåker Johansson, a former Nordic brand manager for Yoggi®, developed three scenarios which were tested on the target audience - young people between the ages of 16 and 19.
"We tested an organic version as well as a version aimed specifically at climate change initiatives in Africa," explains Eva Tingåker Johansson. "As we realised the huge interest in climate and other global issues, we decided to focus on the concept of a climate neutral Yoggi yalla!®."
Assisted by an external environmental consultant
In their effort to establish the environmental impact of each step in the production of Yoggi yalla!®, the project team was assisted by an external environmental consultant - right from the time when the fruit is chopped to when the finished product arrives in the chilled cabinets in stores.
"We mapped the entire product life cycle, which has been very instructive," says Stefan Albertson. "More than that, this has given us an opportunity to go one step further in terms of reducing the environmental impact of future products."
”In itself, making production climate neutral will not solve climate issues, but is a step in the right direction and it contributes towards building commitment and credibility”
Tree planting is something tangible
The decision to plant trees in Africa was taken because of the target group. In contrast to CO2 quotas and investment in sustainable energy, tree planting is something tangible. Also, the target group is interested in social responsibility and by planting trees in Mozambique, Arla is helping to create local jobs. At www.yoggiyalla.com consumers can follow developments in Mozambique.
Consumers are not interested in compromises
The journey towards the launch of a climate neutral product has been lengthy. The team behind Yoggi yalla!® carefully considered the arguments from all possible angles and asked those involved internally and externally to discuss the most appropriate solution.
"The packaging, for instance, is not the most climate friendly. We tested other types, but our target group is not interested in compromises because this is mainly an "on-the-go product," says Stefan Albertson. "But the work has provided us with a great deal of knowledge about how to make production more climate-friendly."
- One year's sales corresponds to 200 football fields planted with trees
- The trees are used for timber although the project also consists of fruit trees such as mango, cashew nut and panga-panga.
- Because the local farmers are learning about forestry, they can start up themselves and support their families better.
- Global felling of trees that are not replaced increases greenhouse gases by 20 per cent.
- During its lifetime, a tree can absorb half a ton of CO2
- The trees are planted in the Zambezi delta under the Plan Vivo project.
- Yoggi Yalla!® is the Swedish market leader within the drinking yoghurt segment and is also available in Finland. The product is currently being launched in other markets as well.
- Seven out of ten respondents stated that they would be willing to buy more climate neutral products.
- A new flavour was added for the launch of climate neutral Yoggi yalla!®: Pink Flamingo with pink guava, pink grapefruit and pomegranate.
Arla Foods is an international dairy company owned by 9,900 farmers from Denmark, Sweden, the UK, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. Arla Foods is one of the leading players in the international dairy arena with well-known brands like Arla®, Lurpak®, Puck® and Castello®. Arla Foods is focused on providing good dairy nourishment from sustainable farming and operations and is also the world's largest manufacturer of organic dairy products.