The four cornerstones of the Arlagården policy are:
- We strive to achieve a milk composition which ensures that the end products meet consumers’ needs and wishes.
- The composition of fat, protein, minerals and other important constituents in the milk must be normal.
- The milk must taste good and fresh.
- We strive to offer our consumers safe, milk-based food products – the basis starts on the farm.
- The milk must not contain unwanted substances.
- We must have a high level of hygiene in order to avoid the risk of infections
- We strive to meet the animals’ basic physiological and behavioural needs, which will improve their health and welfare. See video
- The animals must be healthy.
- The animals must be kept and looked after in an animal-friendly environment.
- We strive to encourage environmentally sound production on the farm that is respectful of nature.
- The farm must protect the surrounding environment and the cultural landscape.
- The farm must optimise the utilisation of nutrients and strive to use only a minimum amount of hazardous chemicals based on risk assessment principles.
In the UK, Arla farmers will continue to meet the Red Tractor requirements. For more information on Arlagarden in the UK, click here.