Sustainable Dairy Production
We have a natural interest in high animal welfare standards, milk quality and state-of-the-art production. We strive for the best environmental practices, and work to continuously reduce our environmental impact, all the way from the farm to the consumer.
Climate impact & Resource efficiency
We continue to reduce our climate impact and optimise use of resources along our entire supply chain – from cow to consumer, despite increased production, within the areas of production, transport and packaging.
Our 2020 target is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 25 per cent - using 2005 as our baseline. In order to achieve these targets we will work with activities in our full value chain including farms, transport, production and packaging.Learn more
Sustainable Dairy Farming Programme
We source milk and other agricultural material which have been farmed in a sustainable manner.
We target a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions at farm level by 30% per kilo milk from 1990 – 2020.
- A review in 2014 estimated a 21% decrease in greenhouse gas emissions
- There will be a follow up review in 2017.
- Use of sustainable bio-fuel in trucks
- Training drivers to drive in an environmentally friendly way
- Increase fuel efficiency by 1% annually
- To date, we have succeeded in decreasing our CO2 emissions with 12.4% despite increased production.
We will continuously reduce energy consumption and switch from fossil to renewable energy sources.
By 2020, 50% of the energy used within our operations will be from renewable resources. This means minimising our use of fossil oil and gas and switching to renewable energy sources such as biomass and/or biogas.
- In 2016, 21.2% of our energy usage came from renewable sources
We work together with our suppliers, researchers and key customers to continuously diminish the environmental impact from the packaging material we use, for example by reducing the weight of individual packaging formats without compromising functionality. At the same time we strive to use renewable raw materials and we want to achieve 100% recyclable packaging materials.
- All corrugated material delivered to sites in Denmark and Sweden is now 100% FSC certified.
- In 2016, 100% of the packaging used in our core markets is recyclable.
We want to help consumers in their efforts to reduce food waste by 50%. We provide, for example, online tips and tricks for using leftovers including shopping lists, weekly dinner plans and climate friendly recipes.
If we have surplus products that cannot be sold, we donate to charitable food banks where possible.